Helping with Hardware

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Tue Dec 7 20:45:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> My question is, how can I contribute to Fedora and thus the larger
>> Linux community through getting my hardware better supported? Or is it
>> just not suitable for a lay-person who knows how to program but
>> doesn't already have a background in these things to get involved?
>
> It depends a lot what the hardware is. If it's a variant of existing
> hardware that is badly supported or the like then even with no tech
> skills you can still be extremely helpful as a tester for anyone working
> on it, or to assist the actual maintainer in checking it works with that
> card variant for example.

Is there some registry somewhere where we tell people what we are
using and that we are willing to test?

For the record, F13 on a Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 with a dual-core AMD
Phenom II (that reportedly could be unlocked to quad-core). While I
got dual-display working at 1920x1080 each, one of which is rotated. I
don't have MIDI working, nor can I use the surround sound. I just have
basic stereo.

I had the fglrx driver working for a while, then it mysteriously
stopped working with newer kernels and now the radeon driver works
beautifully. Though not nearly as fast as the fglrx driver, at least I
don't have white lines at the edge of the rotated monitor.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net