can't download fedora 64bit dvd iso file

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 08:31:55 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Robert G. (Doc) Savage <dsavage at peaknet.net
> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> You could try using the "meat" of that link without the prefix:
>

> http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso
>
> which will actually initiate an FTP download from a mirror site.
> Windows' FTP has been known to be problematic for very large files
> because (at least in the past) an interrupted download could not be
> resumed.
>
> I would recommend using IE8 for what it's good at, then another utility
> for the main haul. Fetch cwRsync from:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sereds/files/cwRsync/4.0.5/cwRsync_4.0.5_Installer.zip/download
>
> This is a Windows version of the rsync utility, a workhorse of the file
> transfer variety if there ever was one. Assuming this latest cwRsync
> uses the same command line options as rsync, this *LONG* command line at
> an MS-DOS prompt will download the F14 DVD ISO file to the current
> directory:
>
> C:> cwRsync -tvxzP rsync://
> download.fedora.redhat.com/fedora-linux-releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso.
>
> Don't forget the trailing " ." space-dot destination. If you're curious,
> the options in that command line are defined as follows:
>
>       -t      preserve modification times
>       -v      increase verbosity
>       -x      don’t cross filesystem boundaries
>       -z      compress file data during the transfer
>       -P      same as --partial --progress
>               --partial       keep partially transferred files
>               --progress      show progress during transfer
>
> On a 12Mbps connection this download should take about 75 minutes. If
> the download is interrupted for any reason, you can re-run the same
> command line and it will pick up where it left off. rsync is VERY
> tenacious and guarantees 100% error-free delivery.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --Doc Savage
>  Fairview Heights, IL
>

> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 23:48 -0700, Dan Willenberg wrote:
> > using iexploder8
> >

> http://fedoraproject.org/en/download-splash?file=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso
> >
> > link tries to connect, then nothing, it claims to be direct download
> >

> > > Subject: Re: can't download fedora 64bit dvd iso file
> > > From: dsavage at peaknet.net
> > > To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
> > > Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 08:29:31 -0600

> > > Dan,
> > >
> > > Where are you trying to download it from, and what are you using to
> > > fetch it?
> > >
> > > --Doc Savage
> > > Fairview Heights, IL

You can also use wget (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm )
to download files. Use

wget ftp://
download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso

If the download fails resume with

wget -c ftp://
download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/iso/Fedora-14-x86_64-DVD.iso

Remember that DVD images can exceed the 4GB limitation of FAT32 formatted
drives. Make sure you are saving to a NTFS formatted drive.