F14-LiveUSB fails on NetBook?

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 21:12:45 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 11:17:24 -0500,
>  Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at AOL.com> wrote:
>> F14-LiveUSB fails on NetBook?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to install Fedora 14 32bit Linux
>> onto my NetBook with no CD drive.
>>
>> I created a bootable USB drive on another computer
>> using current LiveUSB Creator program on F14.
>
> There was an issue related to syslinux mismatch using that program. I don't
> know if there was a newer release to fix that, but I saw discussions indicating
> that upstream knew what needed to be done.

If you have the full DVD install iso file you can, if you have the
livecd-tools package installed, use livecd-iso-to-disk to write a
bootable usbkey to run an install on a laptop without an optical
drive.  If you do this then make sure the isbkey is umounted - or
specifically if the key is /dev/sdb then "umount /dev/sdb1" as root
before running the livecd-iso-to-disk command works.  I have done this
a number of times and also using f14 as the system where the key is
written and it has worked every time for me.

More specifically the command I use is ( as root):
# umount /dev/sdb1
# livecd-iso-to-disk  --reset-mbr /path/to/Fedora-14-i386-DVD.iso /dev/sdb1

This writes the bootable key and has always worked for me over a
number of tests. Of course you do need a usbkey big enough to take the
iso! An 8GB key works fine.

--
mike c