Game suggestions from the over sixty crowd?!?

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 04:50:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 17:22 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I thought I would like to try a game.  The Fedora Repo list gives about
> 60 at least.  I am over sixty, not decrepit yet, but certainly don't
> want to continually loose to a reflexes based game.
>
> What I think I would like (or some combination of some of the criteria
> listed)
> a strategy based game; empire or kingdom or city building; more based on
> natural economic or societal criteria; perhaps an enemy or two but
> enough time between attacks to create a city or whatever, a good test of
> strategic thinking as well as occasional tactical reactions.  I don't
> think I want an internet game, but I have never tried so that is kind of
> an open question.
>
> Is there anyone out there of my age that has found a Linux or Fedora
> game that is engrossing and fits at least partially my enumerated wish
> list.

Two entries that might interest you:

1. Freeciv.
develop technologies and fight (or trade) over land and resources with
your neighboring empires.
Pros:
1. Freeciv is complex and requires brain power and more-or-less zero
instincts.
2. No two games are alike.
3. It has very low computer hardware requirements.
Cons:
1. freeciv is geared toward on-line game (less than stellar AI).
2. Its less polished and graphically pleasing then its proprietary
parent (Civilization III, IV, V).
Yum package: freeciv
Site: http://www.freeciv.org/

2. spring-rts (my personal favorite):
building limited set of structures, slowly building your base
(factories, power generation, defense, etc) and your army (trucks,
tanks, air and naval units), fighting till death with up to 8 AI and/or
human opponents.
Pros:
1. It's graphically pleasing.
2. The AI is fairly good, so you're not forced to play online.
3. The game speed is configurable, making it easy for people that don't
belong to 12-year-old-on-suger-diet-with-sub-1ms-reaction-time-club.
Cons:
1. It requires a good 3D sub-system. (Never tried playing it using OSS
drivers)
2. Initial installation (especially if you want to use different mods)
is somewhat challenging.
Yum packages: spring spring-installer springlobby spring-maps-default
Site: http://springrts.com/

- Gilboa