bind 9.7.2-4.P3 in f14 not working with previous reverse lookup zone file

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Dec 14 05:47:25 UTC 2010

On 12/14/2010 12:04 AM, dave perry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I decided to update a home dns server to fc14 (was running fc9).  I
> can't get bind to accept a zone file that worked with fc12 bind.
> named-checkconf returns OK so my old named.conf seem not the problem.
> The zone file contents being rejected follow:
>
> $TTL            86400
> @               IN      SOA     ns1.colo-perrys.com.
> hostmaster.colo-perrys.com. (
>                                                          2010121301 ; Serial
>                                                          28800      ;
> Refresh
>                                                          14400      ; Retry
>                                                          3600000    ; Expire
>                                                          86400 )    ;
> Minimum
>                  IN      NS      ns1.colo-perrys.com.

This last line defines an NS record for ns1.colo-perrys.com., but it has
no A or AAA record for it.  You need another line just before or just
after it like:

		IN	A	ip.ad.re.ss

or
		IN	AAAA	some:ipv6:valid:ipv6::addr

I don't think it likes you defining the zone without having a valid IP
address for some default name resolution of the zone name.  Either an A
or AAAA record should suffice.  I ran into this when I updated from F11
to F13.  Adding a "default" AAAA address worked for me.  You may be in
trouble if you have a "dynamic" IPv4 address as you don't know what it
is when you define the zone.

> 100             IN      PTR     colo-perrys.com.
> 2               IN      PTR     dadsoffice.colo-perrys.com.
> 9               IN      PTR     mobile1.colo-perrys.com.
> 10              IN      PTR     unclecarl.colo-perrys.com.
> 4               IN      PTR     Dave-PC.colo-perrys.com.
> 20              IN      PTR     Linksys-WAP54G.colo-perrys.com.
>
> ;EOF
>
> The error message returned by
>
> named-checkzone colo-perrys.com /var/named/chroot/var/named/perrylan.db
>
> is
>
> zone colo-perrys.com/IN: NS 'ns1.colo-perrys.com' has no address records
> (A or AAAA)
>
> If I replace 'colo-perrys.com' with '1.168.192.in-addr.arpa', the zone
> name from named.conf, then named-checkzone returns OK.  But service
> named start still fails.
>
> My /etc/named.conf contains
>
> options {
>          directory "/var/named";
>          dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
>          statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
> };
>
> acl "mylan" {
>          127/8; 192.168.1.0/24;
> };
>
> #controls {
> #        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
> #};
>
> view "inside" {
>          match-clients { "mylan"; };
>          recursion yes;
>
>          zone "." IN {
>          type hint;
>          file "named.ca";
>          };
>
>          zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>          type master;
>          file "perrylan.db";
>          };
>
>          zone "colo-perrys.com" {
>          type master;
>          file "db.colo-perrys.com.inside";
>          allow-transfer { 192.168.1.101; };
>          };
> };
>
> Can anyone point me to what I'm missing?

I hope this helps.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com