various errors related to configuration

Hugh Brown hbrown at divms.uiowa.edu
Fri Dec 17 16:17:11 UTC 2010

Les wrote:
> I started with an evolution configuration error, and now a
> Firefox/Mozilla configuration error, so it appears to me that this might
> be a system level error.  Maybe some file or directory permissions
> issue, or perhaps a generic configuration error.
>
> I tried using the Firefox ProfileManager to create a new profile, but
> that lost me all my bookmarks, as well as not changing a problem getting
> my home page to load at startup, in spite of that being the selection on
> the preferences page, even after creating a new user profile with the
> profile manager.  Java won't run, even after reloading from the software
> add/remove manager.

Creating a new profile in Firefox does exactly that.  The old bookmarks
are in your old profile.  You can restore them from the old profiles
bookmark directory. From within the bookmark manager, choose to Import
and Backup->Restore->Choose file and then browse to
~/.mozilla/firefox/<random string>.default/ and then pick the most
recent file.

When you say Java won't run, do you mean the java plugin won't load in
your browser or that you can't get the command line tools to work?

If it's the plugin that won't run, you'll need to add a link for the
plugin into either your user plugin directory
(~/.mozilla/firefox/plugins) or a system plugin directory
(/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins).

e.g. ln -s /usr/java/default/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins   to do it system wide

>  Next I went to the Java website to get the new package, and retrieved
> the jre-6u23-linux-x64-rpm.bin file.  when I attempted to source that
> file I get:
>
> $ ./j*bin
> Unpacking...
> Checksumming...
> Extracting...
> UnZipSFX 5.50 of 17 February 2002, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs at lists.wku.edu).
> replace jre-6u23-linux-amd64.rpm? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename:
>   inflating: jre-6u23-linux-amd64.rpm
> error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock
> (Permission denied)
>
> but the file appears to uncompress and be present as:
>
> jre-6u23-linux-x64-rpm
>
> but I am unsure of loading it with the prior error in existence.

By default the script from sun/oracle tries to unpack the rpm and then
install it.  You ran this as a non-root user (which is fine), it tried
to install the rpm and failed.  You can safely install the rpm.

Hugh