About programing, a general question

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Mon Dec 20 17:13:12 UTC 2010

Hi;

I have been following this thread with a great deal of interest.

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 22:32 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> hi,
>
> If one has to start from the scratch, from the zeroth level to do the
> programing, which programing language one should start with? In the
> ocean of the languages, to start with is really very typical. Can one
> justify it. Some say Python but again they say it is Perl which is
> better every time then the Python. Some say to start with C or C++ but
> again some emphasis to use Java or C#. Many say to go for .Net and VB
> or COBOL and some say to learn web based programing like HTML, PHP,
> ASP.Net. In this ocean who is just starting to learn which one he
> should prefer?
>
> Many say that what is the purpose of learning, then I say that to have
> the basic understanding of how exactly we can handle the machines like
> the CPU. Not to generate the big projects for the management
> processes, not even banking system but to know the basic of programing
> like how to handle the machines at the first, for that purpose, for
> the the scratch level purpose and for the one which is good even for
> Linux, what programing language should one like me, initiate?
>
> --

Parshwa, Two basic questions: 1) Do you want to use programming as a way
to understand the inner workings of your computer? Or, 2) Do you want to
acquire a programming language primarily to have the most used/useful
programming skills in order to write a program? (at least useful to
you).  Both these objectives may be intertwined, but which is your
primary goal now?  Different goals, different programs.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32