do i need a dedicated ip address for https?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 22 12:44:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 22:53 -0800, S Mathias wrote:
> http://help.godaddy.com/article/1054
>
> "# Set up SSL protection on your website."
>
> is it an inescapable requirement to have a dedicated [not fix] ip
> address, when i want to use ssl on my domain?

The method used for virtual name based HTTP hosting, where one IP serves
many different websites, serving the correct one based on the site's
name requested in the connection attempt doesn't work with HTTPS.

The nature of HTTPS, as it currently stands, is that one IP cannot host
numerous HTTPS websites, it can only host one.

The feat would not be impossible, but would require a change in the
current serving and browsing technology.

With HTTP, if I want to browse to www.example.com, the method is find
the IP for the domain name, connect to the IP, request the domain name,
server responds with the appropriate data.

With HTTPS, it's find the IP, connect to the IP securely using the
site's certificate.  It's too late to, by now, to access some other site
(on the same IP) with a different certificate.  It's just the way it was
all designed.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686