X doesn't start

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 01:34:00 UTC 2010

This is the last thing it says:

  The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
  > Internal error:   Could not resolve keysym XF86TouchpadOn
  > Internal error:   Could not resolve keysym XF86TouchpadOff
  Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server

There are no errors in Xorg.0.log. This is on an updated F14, where X
used to work.

Before this happened, I removed a few packages (on an Eee PC with 4G
SSD one has to hunt for dispensable packages) listed below, but I've
since reinstalled them and still no joy.

pyOpenSSL
python-paste
smolt
smolt-firstboot
metacity
firstboot
system-config-keyboard
plymouth-scripts
xorg-x11-drivers
xorg-x11-drv-geode
xorg-x11-drv-s3virge
xorg-x11-drv-acecad
xorg-x11-drv-ast
xorg-x11-drv-r128
xorg-x11-drv-wacom
xorg-x11-drv-trident
xorg-x11-drv-cirrus
xorg-x11-drv-nv
xorg-x11-drv-ati
xorg-x11-drv-mach64
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau
xorg-x11-drv-trident
zenity
setserial
system-config-users-docs
system-config-date-docs
system-config-services-docs
quota
python-tempita
bc
cyrus-sasl
cyrus-sasl-plain
bc

There were probably updates after the last succesful start of X, so,
for all I know,  the problem may be one of them.

I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to poceed.

Andras