mouse speed VS touchpad speed

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 02:57:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 21:42:16 -0500
fred smith wrote:

> In F14 there is only one dialog for adjusting mouse pointer speed, and
> it adjusts both mouse and touchpad pointer speed.

The new xinput system can adjust all different pointers separately,
but I don't think any gui controls have caught up.

Here's the silly script I run to set the touchpad acceleration on
my logitech mini keyboard (I use the defaults for my regular mouse
which seems to work OK, so I only need to modify the keyboard):

mini='Logitech Logitech BT Mini-Receiver'
dnum=`xinput --list --short | fgrep "$mini" | fgrep pointer | \
         sed -e 's/^.*id=//' | sed -e 's/[^0-9].*$//'`
xinput --set-int-prop "$dnum" 'Device Accel Profile' 8 2
xinput --set-float-prop "$dnum" 'Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration' 2.0
xinput --set-float-prop "$dnum" 'Device Accel Velocity Scaling' 50.0
xinput --set-ptr-feedback "$dnum" 4 18 10

I have to grep out the pointer device number because the keyboard
looks like two devices with the same name (keyboard and pointer), so
I need the device number to control the settings.

Incidentally, if the device is USB and you unplug it and plug it
back in, you'll need to run the script again. I have a silly
program for that too:

http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/software/xdbusd/xdbusd.html