Thoughts of a user

DB Freddog_de at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 26 11:54:32 UTC 2010

On 12/26/2010 11:36 AM, users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org wrote:
> Subject:
> Thoughts of a user
>
> 2) Wifi: It may be a sore point, but there is no ease of installing
> (newer) machines with built in wifi cards. While I understand that all
> those things are built for functionality with Windoze, and that many
> manufacturers don't make their own Linux drivers, but even with the
> correct drivers it doesn't often work. I feel it should be on the
> forefront of the developers attention to make wifi work more easily - on
> all machines. Wireless computing is getting more and more popular, and
> is the future for the internet. So if Linux wishes to survive (sorry to
> put it so strongly), it is important that wifi works as easily as when
> installing Windoze. It doesn't; check the forums, check google. Few
> issues are so frequent.
>
> 3) Hardware management: su -, lshw, isn't good enough a hardware manager
> for the average user. A new app should be developed that looks better
> and is interactive. Enable and disable certain hardware should be an
> option. Finding manufacturer's details of driver-less hardware is a
> must. Aida32 springs to mind, XP's Device Manager springs to mind. GUI,
> interactive. This is necessary to appeal to the average user - ie. me.
> And while we're at it, try and make the wifi-card enableable through
> this app; rfkill unblock all doesn't always do it.

Hi there,

I agree with Ben on these 2 points....

My son just gave his daughter a Netbook & the 2 of us spent a couple of
hours trying to get it (and his Kindle) to link up to my wireless Lan.
I used (in the evil dayz of Windoze...) to have McAffee on the system
with its network manager which would at least draw me a pretty picture
of what was visible/up/down on the LAN.  Sadly, it could never offer me
anything like a "logging in check" where it could tell me "Ok, step 1
works & gives me this result; step 2 gives me No Reply...." & so on.  To
know where I am in a logon scheme would be a great help.

Managing hardware is IMMHO yeuk!  You plug it in & Most Times It Just
Works.... sometimes, it doesn't!  Where do you go from there?  Is there
anywhere a Helpful, Friendly Piece Of Script that I can access without
spending days hunting through Gooogle????

Yes, Mr Gates Hardware manager, with its enable/disable/uninstall does
seem to be a long step from that which I, as a not-very-experienced
Fedorious, can find....  BTW, anyone know if Computer Literacy still
have their Quick Card of 'nix commands?  (Think I gave away my last one
about 20 years ago....)

TTFN

DAve