2 Ethernet cabling question

Dave Ihnat dihnat at dminet.com
Sun Dec 26 15:58:30 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 08:50:40AM -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> Replace the ENTIRE run.  NEVER splice, and I mean NEVER splice, LAN
> cabling.  You might have crossover problems and you might not notice the
> loss in bandwidth until you hit 20MB+ connection speeds and then things
> get very 'interesting'.  Yes, it is a PITA to do so, but in the long run
> you will be happier.

I'll second that, with a caveat.  If it's absolutely, positively
impossible to pull a new run, you *can* terminate with an 8P8C ("RJ45")
male on one end of the repair and female on the other.

I don't recommend it--it's burying an eventual potential problem in
a difficult spot to get back to--usually two problems, as there's
bee a junction at either end of the replaced cable segment--and will
inevitably be forgotten until someone finds it and says, "What in 7734
were they thinking!".  (In fact, if you *must* do this, leave a note at
the junction saying "we had no choice!").

But it's still far, far preferable to trying to splice cables.

Cheers,
--
	Dave Ihnat
	dihnat at dminet.com