Let's talk about yum and p2p in Fedora

S Mathias smathias1972 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 18:19:22 UTC 2010

Are there any active project about it?

like:
http://www.camrdale.org/apt-p2p/
for Debian.

Why doesn't it have viability? Why does it have?

What are the security issues regarding it?

e.g.:
No port forwarding is needed in p2p (no need for open ports [? fixme]): http://samy.pl/pwnat/ - these kind of projects will be more prevalent, as the isp's will show up with the Large Scale NAT's - http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/12/17/2226230/Carrier-Trick-To-Save-IPv4-Could-Help-Spammers - soon we will run out of ipv4 addresses.

Yum does the gpgcheck, so we just need audited code, that does the p2p part. (i'm not a developer, sorry).

Remember this video(?): Twitter - Murder Bittorrent Deploy System
http://vimeo.com/11280885

Common sense: if i need to spread lot's of files no matter small or big, to many-many-many-many pc's, then i would give a 10 Mbit line to the master server, and the remaining job is done by the people, so that in this way, they could contribute to the project.

The Fedora installer could contain a question: how would you like to receive updates? [if e.g.: GNOME is installed, the updates would be "forced*", because it's likely not a server, just a desktop pc] - and the answers would be: by http or by p2p (or p2p with encryption)

What is you're opinion? Objection? Please tell me, because i just can't understand why doesn't this brilliant technology/method spreads. It would be very-very scalable.

+ if i go to the main website, and click "Get Fedora"

https://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

it would need to accentuate the ISO download by torrent, not http, the servers would be way more "relieved", and ready for any expected, or unexpected loads (ddos, a version of Fedora is out, growing number of Fedora users).

I'm sure there would be many Fedora or other RPM based distribution users, who would happily seed the packages. Broadband connections, HDD's are cheap in 2011.

*by forcing i meant it should install updates without asking, the primary security relies on that the packages are up-to-date or not.

**_I LOVE FEDORA_, i just wanted to write down my opinion, sorry

Thank you for reading and have a nice day.