Thoughts of a user

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 27 10:58:46 UTC 2010

<snip>
I'm not joking. Yes, there are some look-perks that Linux has - like the
> > cube and the wobbly windows - that are nice, and "Oh wow!" indeed.
> But did
> > you notice my mentioning of the true transparency? Even conky isn't truly
> > transparent, but what about borders or panels?
</snip>

Why? ?
Ubuntu has semi transparent terminals, apps can be made transparent to
varying degrees, why in the world would I need transparent windows,
borders and menus with a dozen windows open on 4 virtual screens-- it
may be cute but  to me and others I work with, has no practical value,
no aesthetics and leans toward unuseability.
Fedora 14!, I'm glad not to have transparency.

Wobbly windows, duh!
On an average day I have Inkscape, Gimp, Scribus, Blender, Spreadsheets,
Audacity, Chromium x 2 or 3, geany, gedit, windows,  2 or 3 terminals
open at once and that's a normal day one that is unimaginable in Windows
or mac.
Couldn't imagine anything worse than seeing what's underneath while
concentrating on work at hand.

I love the look of Fedora and ubuntu.

The "Oh! Wow" effect, I would say could be from windows and mac users
whose mindset puts Linux  circa "days of dos 3".
Roger