Not able to scale the cpu-frequency

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 20:37:38 UTC 2010

Martin Haug <martinhaug <at> piratenpartei.de> writes:

I would prefer that you make these entries manually and verify each step
immediatelly (what you show here does not feel right ...).

> [icehawk <at> icehawk-laptop linuxhome]$ sudo /etc/init.d/cpuspeed stop
> [icehawk <at> icehawk-laptop linuxhome]$ sudo lsmod|grep -i cpu
> cpufreq_ondemand        7262  0 <====================================???????
> acpi_cpufreq            6285  0
> mperf                   1141  1 acpi_cpufreq
> [icehawk <at> icehawk-laptop linuxhome]$ cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> userspace <========================================================== OK

The above is contradictory...
What you should get is:
# /etc/init.d/cpuspeed stop
# /etc/init.d/cpuspeed status
cpuspeed is stopped
# lsmod |grep -i cpu
acpi_cpufreq            6285  1
mperf                   1141  1 acpi_cpufreq

This is the package:
$ yum list installed cpuspeed
cpuspeed.i686    1:1.5-14.fc14     @anaconda-InstallationRepo-201010031452.i386
$ rpm -ql cpuspeed
/etc/rc.d/init.d/cpuspeed
/etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed
/usr/sbin/cpuspeed
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/CHANGES
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/CONTRIBUTORS
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/EXAMPLES
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/FEATURES
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/README
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/USAGE
/usr/share/doc/cpuspeed-1.5/license.txt
/usr/share/man/man8/cpuspeed.8.gz

So,
$ rpm -V cpuspeed

Take a look at
/etc/sysconfig/cpuspeed
which should not have been modified (normally) - it is a config file.

If you are in doubt, reinstall this package (nor problem...):
# yum reinstall cpuspeed
and start all over as I showed above.

After that things should just work ...

> [icehawk <at> icehawk-laptop linuxhome]$ sudo cpufreq-set -c 0 -u 2GHz

There is always a possibility that some CPUs do not work (such note is in cpu
freq docs), but it is not obvious why in this case.

JB