Fedora 14 desktop fails install at the very end of the process stating something like, "Can't mount /dev/mapper/hard-drive....."

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 04:24:13 UTC 2010

Hi,

First a request, please don't top post. Responding to messages is
tougher that way.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 8:04 PM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 10:59 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:22:02 -0500
>> Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote:

>> > The very first prompt you get after booting the installation image is
>> > to press enter to begin the installer, "linux text" to begin a
>> > text-mode install, some other option for rescue mode, etc…
>> >
>> > That's where you enter "linux nodmraid".
>> >

>> Also Have you tried booting a live CD or live USB. If you can then that
>> should be able to give you more information about the hardware on your
>> system. You can use lshw, lsusb and lspci to get the required info.
>>
>> GL
>>
> Thanks for the feedback.
> I have only been using the Live CD which also allows for install.
> My issue is with the installation and it's *most* likely due to fakeRaid.
> What kind of information can I post here that would help with the diagnose?
> I know the controller is running nVidiea.
> Thanks,

You said in your other response that you attempted a text install as per
Sam's suggestion. Then how are you using a live CD? As far as I know
live CDs don't support text based installs.

To get better idea of your hardware, you can post the output of

$ lspci | grep -i ide

and as root, (from a live CD just type 'su - RET')

# fdisk -l |grep  '^/dev'

PS: Some years back I installed Fedora 8 on Intel fakeraid without
problems, so that might not be your issue.

--
Suvayu