Network communication between hosts

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Dec 29 00:37:41 UTC 2010

derleader __ writes:

>  Hi,
>    I need advice about developing C++ program. I need to develop 2
> application which must communicate via network using SSL encryption. The
> problem is in which format to exchange the data. I can use XML format to
> exchange data between the hosts but a lot traffic will be generated. What
> are the usual practices to exchange data between the hosts?

There is no universal answer that is generally considered to be The Right
Thing To Do.

The correct answer depends on many factors. The nature of the data, how it
is structured. You're going to get a different answer if your data is just
some two-dimensional grid, or if it can be represented as some kind of a
hierarchically-organized data, or if it something completely ad-hoc, like a
command/response, or any one of many possibilities.

Therefore, the only person who knows the answer to your question, is really
you.