Window Management under Compiz (one time)

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 18:42:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-29 at 17:11 -0600, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 06:24 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>
> >> First, "yum install control-center-extra"
> >>
> >> Then click System/Preferences/Windows.  Choose "Select windows when the
> >> mouse moves over them."
> >

> >> TC
> > Here is what happens when I try that yum install.
> > I receive a message:
> > control-center-2.32.0-1.fc14.i686 already installed and latest version
> > Nothing to do
> >
> > I am in F14. So now what?
> >
> Try typing "gnome-control-center" in a terminal.
>
> --
> -- Steve
Okay let's take it one step at a time.
When I try to go to System->Preferences->Windows
while using compiz I get a error message:

Cannot start the preferences application for your window manager.
Window manager "compiz" has not registered a configuration tool.

One can do this successfully if you are not using compiz.

There is no rpm that can be installed by yum called:
control-center-extra
Although it seems to me there was such an rpm in earlier fedora
versions.
gnome-control-center is already installed.

I can't believe that no one using F14 has not noticed this behavior. It
would be nice to be able to have windows chosen when you move the cursor
over them.

Does anyone know how to make this work?

Romeo wasn't bilked in a day. -- Walt Kelly, "Ten Ever-Lovin' Blue-Eyed
Years With Pogo"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net