Testing sound?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 1 04:50:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 20:08 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> "mplayer /usr/share/sounds/KDE-Sys-App-Message.ogg" works fine.
> It is the only one of these 5 programs that actually works on my
> laptop:
> play does not seem to exist;

It comes with the sox package.  I might have it installed as a
dependency on something, rather than having it by default.

> aplay makes a rather annoying noise, which I have seen described as
> static;

Mightn't support ogg, and/or some other formats.  Some programs will
refuse to play unsupported formats, others will just try to play them as
raw data - which isn't going to work properly.

> paplay just hangs without doing anything;

Looks like it mightn't support ogg, either.  I thought I recalled that
it did, but maybe I was playing another file format, at the time.  When
I tried it, just now, I got an error message:

  Failed to open file 'test.ogg'

If it were hanging, then I think you have a problem with pulseaudio, as
paplay is a utility for working with it.

> ogg123 does not seem to exist on my Fedora-12/KDE system;

That comes from vorbis-tools, and I thought that got installed by
default.  But perhaps that's not the case.  Or, maybe you've installed
less than the defaults.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686