Serial port (/dev/ttySX) question.

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at tsb.cranrdte.navy.mil
Mon Feb 1 18:19:55 UTC 2010

Gene Heskett wrote, On 30 Jan 2010 02:59 PM:
> Precisely, a usleep(50000) would be much better .  And some man page studying
> for rpmbuild options.  I tried to edit the .c source, but then it refused to
> build and that was not the error it spit out.  We'll poke at it some more
> tomorrow unless I start plowing thru the sources I have for sc6551.asm to
> make that driver, for an H63C09 equipt trs-80 Color Computer 3, now running
> Nitros9.
>
> Specifically, I need rpmbuild to stop after unpacking and patching the
> tarball, giving me a chance to edit the .c file to change that, and then
> restart at the next step.  I've been through the man page a couple of times,
> and how to do that hasn't exactly reached up and slapped me.  Hints welcome
> of course.
>
> Thanks Rod.

In case you have not already come across it...

rpmbuild -bp package.spec

       -bp    Executes the "%prep" stage from the  spec  file.  Normally  this
              involves unpacking the sources and applying any patches.

After you make your patch(es) [and put the patches in the SOURCES dir, with appropriate changes to
the spec file], you will probably want to build an SRPM [ -bs ] then clean out/change your %_topdir,
install the srpm and make sure it builds as expected. [if you had found the -bs command, made mods
and tried to continue on with building using rpmbuild you might be a bit frustrated about now,
because rpmbuild always starts from the SOURCES dir and spec.]

the following seems like a good place for you to start setting up your environment, for the kind of
work you are proposing:
http://bradthemad.org/tech/notes/patching_rpms.php

related link:
http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/06/04/tips-from-an-rhce-building-rpms-without-being-root/

If you want to follow all the fedora rules, then you should probably start setting up your
environment IAW:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package#Setting_up_your_system_and_account
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package#.25prep_section:_.25patch_commands