Using a USB external enclosure with a PATA hard drive ?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 18:43:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 11:58 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Others may have better advice, but you can try unplugging the drive
>> then as root do "tail -f /var/log/messages" and plug the drive back
>> in. It may give you some hints as to what's going on.
>>
>> Richard
>>
> Thanks Richard.
>

> tail -f /var/log/messages ;
>
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 6 localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device found,
> idVendor=0c0b, idProduct=b157
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=10, Product=11,
> SerialNumber=3
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Product: DMI USB2.0 Storage
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: Manufacturer: DMI
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: SerialNumber: 2009102609E0
> localhost kernel: usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> localhost kernel: scsi10 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
> localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
> and address 4
> localhost kernel: scsi 10:0:0:0:
> Direct-Access                                    PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
> localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
> localhost kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk
> localhost kernel: usb 2-5: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
> and address 4
> localhost kernel: EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
> localhost kernel: EXT3-fs (sdc): unable to read superblock

At least the drive is detected so that's good but I don't like the
last two lines...

> It is a ide drive with a ext3 fs on it.
> I tried to mount it.
>

> # mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc /mnt/harddrive

That's the first problem. /dev/sdc points to the drive, not a
partition. Assuming the drive only has one partition you should use:

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/harddrive

But that's an assumption. You can try "ls -l /dev/sdc*" to get a list
of all partitions. Quick question, are you sure this drive is not
using logical volume management?

> Also tried a fdisk /dev/sdc;
>
> # fdisk /dev/sdc
>
> Unable to read /dev/sdc

That's troubling as well, maybe a permission issue?

Richard