radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 1 20:11:46 UTC 2010

Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> AFAIK, nVidia is locked up in closed source licences and non-disclosure
> agreements, and that is the only reason why they don't provide specs and
> open source drivers. It appears nVidia has good will, but legal issues are
> a showstopper.

That's bullshit. There are repeated public statements from NVidia that they
don't see any market or demand for "open source" (Free Software) drivers and
that therefore they don't care. Don't delude yourself!

> And the fact that they provide support next to none (of their closed
> source drivers) demonstrates that they *do* care about Linux market, and
> do take the community support seriously.

I disagree. Providing proprietary drivers is NOT providing support to Free
Software or GNU/Linux. (In fact it's worse than doing nothing because some
people who would otherwise help the Nouveau project are content with using
the proprietary crap.)

        Kevin Kofler