radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 22:52:24 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 February 2010 20:11:46 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > And the fact that they provide support next to none (of their closed
> > source drivers) demonstrates that they *do* care about Linux market, and
> > do take the community support seriously.
>
> I disagree. Providing proprietary drivers is NOT providing support to Free
> Software or GNU/Linux.

Of course not. It is providing support for their hardware. And they do a very
good job at it.

The fact they don't support the Free Software might be their own choice, in
the end. And this is completely legitimate standpoint for a hardware
manufacturer. They are just protecting their technology secrets. I see nothing
wrong with that, as long as they provide support.

Unlike ATI, who *claim* to support FS, but actually do so only when the
hardware in question becomes obsolete.

Best, :-)
Marko