radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(.

Brian Mury brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca
Tue Feb 2 01:23:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 08:51 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I don't have access to and r600 or r700 based cards. I have a rv280 at
> home and an rv530 at work and both do 3d currently.

I also have an rv280 that I have been having problems with. I'm curious
if you are using kernel or user space mode setting, and what you have in
your xorg.conf (if anything).

My experience is:

KMS: 3D works but is slow, 2D is so slow it is unusable (can't even
watch a low-def youtube video, for example).

UMS: 2D and 3D both work at expected speeds (XAA is a bit faster than
the default EXA), but 3D often completely locks up the computer - can't
even SSH to it.

Brian