Open source medication adherence tools?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 3 10:42:27 UTC 2010

Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 12:10 +1030, Tim wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 16:56 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>>> E.g. "I need to take the blue inhaler as I need it, the green and
>>> brown ones twice a day, the yellow pills in the morning, the pink ones
>>> at night and two of the brown ones with lunch.. now, what have I
>>> forgotten?" :-)
>> Pity the poor pharmacist who has to help a customer configure their
>> reminders, as well as the usual advice about taking their medication...
>
> Seriously? Are you genuinely concerned about that?
>
> I'm honestly unsure if you're joking or not. :)

I've worked on commercial software which does exactly that. It
tracks all prescriptions the patient has, and automatically
checks for known interactions, and whether to take with or
without food, if necessary, etc., and prints appropriate
warnings, like

	Don't take pill A and pill B at the same time,
	wait at least 2 hours after taking pill A before
	taking pill B.

One of the main services provided by the programmers there
is tracking of the interaction database and keeping it up to
date, and tracking changes to the protocol used to communicate
(via dial up modem, usually) with the insurance companies,
and for negotiating which company pays how much and for what
when more than one insurance company is involved (as it often
is with Medicare patients).

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.