Fedora 12 and 11 KDE - No Sound

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 11:28:05 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 10:23:25 Chris Ross wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 11:04 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Chris Ross wrote:
> >> Although the "Input Devices" tab shows  ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI
> >> Multi-Channel I/O Controller the Output Devices tab shows only the NULL
> >> device. Selecting Show ->  Hardware Output Devices  simply says "No
> >> output devices available".  Why would that be and where can I tell
> >> PulseAudio to look for audio hardware?
> >
> > Do you have something running in the background which may be monopolizing
> > your sound hardware? ALL sound-using apps MUST go through PulseAudio for
> > things to work properly.
>
> The only audio things I can see in "ps ax" are pulseaudio and artsd. Is
> the latter is supposed to be running? Wasn't the point of PulseAudio to
> replace it? I certainly haven't started it deliberately, does it just
> get started automatically if you ever run a KDE3 app and thereafter stop
> sound working for KDE4? Surely not!

AFAIK, artsd should *not* be running, but rather pulseaudio instead of it. And
it should not get started automatically by anything, either.

FWIW, I am having trouble to reproduce anything that was discussed in this
thread, on this F12/KDE/64bit (fully updated). Sound works here without
problems, pulseaudio is active, and systemsettings -> multimedia -> output
device preference has only one stanza, "internal audio analog stereo" for all
device categories. As for backend, xine is prefered over gstreamer. And it
just works since F12 came out. Although the possible output device stanzas
have been changing from time to time, automatically, as updates came by... I
remember seeing pulseaudio and pulseaudio server on that list simultaneously
at some point. :-)

Maybe the problem has something to do with virtualization, or hardware type,
or upgrading path (this F12 was clean install, not upgrade from F11).

HTH, :-)
Marko