APIC data ??

Arne Chr. Jorgensen achrisjo at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 11:42:57 UTC 2010

Was "Re: radeon driver heading in wrong direction :-(. "

Quoting myself:

> Having a laptop, HP 6715b,which became a *nightmare* under F10-x86_64.
> I have managed a lot of crappy stuff, but that was hell until the very
> end.
> A quick test of F11-686, F13-rawhide,  and did install F12-x86_64, with
> some hesitation.
> I am surprised: - no flicker on screen, no lock up ( so far ), and it is
> running 10-25 degrees C cooler !  Fans have never been as silent !
> My question:  what on earth was so terrible wrong with the driver under
> F10 ? What was the nature of that error ?
> ( It did not run this nice under F11 or F13, while then I used 686. )
> I am puzzled....

Most of the debate about drivers only look at graphics. In my case I have
a laptop, where the graphic controllers have become the major chipset on the motherboard. I have had trouble with busses, devices, ..everything..

Some of the hardware are not enabled by Fedora, and I had to dual boot with Vista (64bit). Fedora 10 did seem to change behaviour after upgrades done in Microsoft, etc.

Is the interface through some "DSDT" tables ( is that the name for it ?)

Now - for the first time, I have installed XP ( 32 bit ) and drivers. In other words - the hardware descriptions in ACPI may have changed.

Questions:

- is there a way to save those tables ?
( compare tables from XP and Vista, maybe add them in a bugzilla report if
they are different ? )

//ARNE