Blacklisting Nouveau

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Feb 3 22:14:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 14:14:29 -0700,
  Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> No 3D hardware support, your software won't work.  It doesn't matter
> what you do or how often you install the software or attempt to edit
> config files, will it work.  It requires 3D support.  It should or could
> be a requirement before YUM installs the application.

This isn't a good idea as the hardware the image is running on may change.
Think particularly of live images. 3d packages are supposed to check for
support for the 3d features they need and display a nice message if they
can't run on the current hardware. (Usually this is done by running a script
which does the checking and if things look good run the real program.)

> I would really appreciate it if nVidia, ATI or Intel would create RPM's
> for their own cards so we could deal with them directly.  Of course if
> you have a bug, then you have to remove the driver to get any support.
> Of course if the problem is in an application that requires 3D you are
> hooped.

This usually doesn't work out as well as you might think. Vender supplied
rpms sometimes do some pretty bad things (such as creating local root
exploits).