program to read electronic books

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 4 14:54:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 15:15 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:

> Javascript can be turned off in the preferences.

That makes it safer, but it also removes all the extra functionality
that would have motivated someone to install Adobe Reader on a Fedora
box in the first place. This is what we found even for our Windows
users. To get around the 0-day that was out there for more than a month,
we had all Adobe users on every platform disable JavaScript. The result
was that a lot of documents would no longer display correctly.

Adobe and its piss-poor security track record is currently our #1
security headache. For all the reasons already documented in this
thread, we are forced to use Adobe Reader, but it is riddled with
actively exploited security holes.

--Greg