difference between /proc/cpuinfo and AMD product specs

Steve Berg sberg at mississippi.com
Thu Feb 4 19:36:58 UTC 2010

>   undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>
> model name      : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 800.000
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
>   the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>
>   however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>
> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>
> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> *no* H/W virt support.
>
>   i'm confused.  am i just misreading something?

You've probably got the cpuspeed daemon running and it's throttling the
CPU since there's not enough load on the system to need the additional
clock cycles.

You can use the lshw or dmidecode to verify that your CPU is what you
actually purchased.  Or you can run "service cpuspeed stop" and then look
at /proc/cpuinfo which will show you the unmodified values that your CPU
is presenting to the OS.

--
*       Stephen Berg       *
*  sberg at mississippi.com   *