difference between /proc/cpuinfo and AMD product specs

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Feb 4 19:57:36 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:18 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> undoubtedly going to regret asking this, but i installed f12 on a
> gateway laptop, whose /proc/cpuinfo reads (in part):
>
> model name      : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 800.000
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good extd_apicid pni cx16 lahf_lm
> cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy 3dnowprefetch
>
>   the above *seems* to suggest an oddly slow processor (800 MHz), but
> the "svm" flag tells me it has AMD H/W virt support, correct?
>
>   however, if i pop over to the corresponding(?) AMD page:
>
> http://products.amd.com/en-na/NotebookCPUDetail.aspx?id=18&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=
>
> that page suggests that that processor is 2 GHz, but that there is
> *no* H/W virt support.
>
>   i'm confused.  am i just misreading something?

/proc/cpuinfo shows the current clock speed.  Many processors,
especially laptops, scale down the speed of idle processors to save
power.

Try running a program that contains a tight infinite loop and see what
happens then.

Not sure about the virtualization part.

> rday
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                               Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
>             Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page:                                          http://crashcourse.ca

                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu