NVIDIA: no sound to TV via HDMI

Marcel Rieux m.z.rieux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 03:54:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 12:17 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Tim:

> No DVD player?  Digital outputs from a CD or DVD drive in the computer?

Of course, I have a DVD player, and it doesn't work anymore than
youtube: no sound.

I called Asus and their support is provided by shoe salesmen. (Skip)

I then called NVIDIA in California, the head office. They first told
me that, despite offering proprietary drivers, plus settings and
troubleshooting solftware, they don't offer Linux support. A first
line support guy told me the problem might be with Asus not providing
HDMI sound support with its version of the card.

And providing an S/PIDF wire just the same? Just for fun?

And it's "Why don't you go to our forum", where you're told that
people there are mainly experiencing with multicore. And it's "Why
don't you go tho nvnews" where the guy who owns the site pays for it
with advertising and is not in any way an NVIDIA employee. So,
wherever you go, you're stuck.

My feeling is NVIDIA produces a software that kinda works with Linux
and then doesn't give a damn about it. They seem to think: "Hey! We
don't provide code, we don't provide support, we just pocket the
money! Why should we care?" Finally, after explaining at my long
distance expense how this was ridiculous and that I would make it
public, I was given this address:

<http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php>

It seems there might be some Linux support limited Linux support after
all. I'll see. This is the eighth time this URL is mentioned on the
net!

So, back to business. My guess is if all my computer was assembled
except the S/PDIF card, the store was aware of the problems they'd run
into trying to make sound work through HDMI. They know nothing about
Linux and they won't run around in cricles like I did. So, since I
don't give a damn about 3D, the solution might be to scrap the NVIDIA
9400GT card and buy an ATI card.

Has anybody succeeded in getting the equivalent of TwinView working
with ATI? I mean two monitor that show exactly the same desktop in
correct ratios, meaning that if your principal monitor is 5x4, on a
16x9 screen, the sides will be black and there will be no attempt to
stretch images? And 16x9 movies will show full width...

Do TV tuners work with ATI?