NetworkManager, dbus, 3G USB Modems and SMS

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 08:04:24 UTC 2010

I'm pretty sure I'm not posting this question to the best place, but here
goes.

Can I write a program which will talk to NetworkManager or ModemManager over
dbus to send and receive sms messages? Will this work while connected to a
mobile broadband service on the same modem?

Is anyone out there already working on something like this?

I imagine the ideal solution is some kind of sms service provider, which
itself could be accessed via dbus, with integration in email or IM clients.

Rationale:

I have a 3G usb modem which i use to connect to mobile broadband. This
service is pretty much connected whenever I use my computer.

Often my provider sends SMS messages to the number of the usb modem, for
example, to give warnings about going over quota (which I recently did). I
would love a way to access these messages while connected to mobile
broadband.

Cheers,

Dan