Problem with a large partition

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Fri Feb 5 22:43:51 UTC 2010

> Hello all,
>
> I have a 22TB partition that I would like to use.  I am using a 64bit CPU
> and used parted to create a partition and to format it.  It created an
> ext2 partition that I was in the process of converting to ext4.  This is
> where I hit a snag.  Here is the error I got:
>
> # e2fsck -fDC0 /dev/sdb1
> e2fsck 1.41.9 (22-Aug-2009)
> Error determining size of the physical device: File too large
>
> Moving forward, I'm going to have to have e2fsck.  fsck appears to be
> provided by util-linux-ng.i686.  Shouldn't that be a 64bit version?

Later on in your message, you have the following:
uname -a
Linux ftp.temp.org 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1 SMP Sat Nov 7 21:41:45 EST
2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

It APPEARS that you are not running the 64bit version of Fedora.

For comparison, here is "uname -a" from my Intel Xeon QuadCore (64bit)
system:
[steve at localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.31.12-174.2.3.fc12.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jan 18
19:52:07 UTC 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So, for you, the i686 version of e2fsck would seem to be the correct one.

BUT, e2fsck seems to be a part of the following package:

[steve at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/e2fsck
e2fsprogs-1.41.9-5.fc12.x86_64

/sbin/fsck IS a part of the package that you refer to above:

[steve at localhost ~]$ rpm -q --whatprovides /sbin/fsck
util-linux-ng-2.16.2-5.fc12.x86_64

Again, though, unless you install the 64bit version of Fedora, you will be
needing the i686 versions of these RPM's.  I am basing my assumption that
you are running a 32bit version of Fedora from the fact that you are
running the i686 kernel.  Beyond that, I am NOT an expert :)

Steven P. Ulrick