I never have gotten readline & .inputrc working properly.

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Feb 6 19:52:15 UTC 2010

Hi;

I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years.  I am
obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
what it is.  I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
googled.  I am sure I am missing something basic.

Here is my file:

        # Bill's inputrc for ReadLine

        # '$include' directs readline to the file
        # with 'universal' settings.
        # Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile

        $include /etc/inputrc

        $if mode=emacs

        "\C-x\C-r": re-read-init-file
        Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
        "M-C-b": backward-word
        "\M-\C-f": forward-word

        $endif

I have tried M & C with and without the escape.  Nothing seems to work.
'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
coming from some other file.  None of the other bindings work in either
gterminal or vtX.  $VISUAL = emacs.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28