ext4 defaults and access time

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Feb 7 23:06:14 UTC 2010

Roberto Ragusa wrote:
> Andras Simon wrote:
>>> Defaults are sometimes surprising.
>>> Let's have a look at
>>>   cat /proc/mount
>> I think you're onto something...
>>
>> /dev/sda5 /home ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
>>
>> I definitely don't want relatime there. Would something like
>>
>> .... ext4    defaults,atime ....
>>
>> in fstab get rid of this?
>
> There is a norelatime option, but it could be not enough.
>
> I had this kind of problem some time ago and Kevin Fenzi told me
> how to do it:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121542196521553&w=2
> http://marc.info/?l=fedora-devel-list&m=121545811619620&w=2

Good find, another case of not only a default being chosen because the developer
liked things that way for his system, but where the user needs to know magic to
get the desired behavior. Even going so far as to mung the comment in the source
to make it hard to find.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>