I never have gotten readline & .inputrc working properly.

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Tue Feb 9 14:35:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 11:53 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 14:52 -0500, William Case wrote:
> > I have spent hours on this over the last couple of years.  I am
> > obviously doing something fundamentally wrong -- but I can't figure out
> > what it is.  I have gone over bash/readline several times as well as
> > googled.  I am sure I am missing something basic.
> >
> > Here is my file:
> >
> >         # Bill's inputrc for ReadLine
> >
> >         # '$include' directs readline to the file
> >         # with 'universal' settings.
> >         # Place 'export /etc/inputrc' in .bash_profile
> >
> >         $include /etc/inputrc
> >
> >         $if mode=emacs
> >
> >         "\C-x\C-r": re-read-init-file
> >         Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word
> >         "M-C-b": backward-word
> >         "\M-\C-f": forward-word
> >
> >         $endif
> >
> > I have tried M & C with and without the escape.  Nothing seems to work.
> > 'Meta-Rubout: backward-kill-word' seems to work unless the binding is
> > coming from some other file.  None of the other bindings work in either
> > gterminal or vtX.  $VISUAL = emacs.
>
> Not really sure what's up here (not tried your file) but getting
> readline bindings to play nicely can be tricky as there can be conflicts
> with existing bindings (I've found in the past I needed to disable some
> things to get others working etc.).

I have checked and there are no conflicts with \M-\C-b and \M-\C-f

> I think your M-Rubout binding isn't coming from this file - it's default
> iirc - I see this in my C-h output:
>
> backward-kill-word can be found on "\e\C-h", "\e\C-?".

I can find it there as well (well \e\C-f and \e\C-b) and it works.
However, I find the \e\C- key combination a bit of a finger reach and I
use forward-word and backward-word a lot so I wanted to add a key
modifier combination that was easier.

> This is working fine for me:
>
> $ cat ~/.inputrc
> $include /etc/inputrc
> # this shadows transpose-chars in the default emacs mode
> # works around the default C-s being shadowed by linux's
> # C-s scroll-lock behaviour
> set bell-style visible
> set editing-mode emacs
> set visible-stats On
> set show-all-if-ambiguous On
> C-t:   forward-search-history
> C-f:   'realias\n'
> C-h:   dump-functions
> "C-xC-r": re-read-init-file
>
> All of these seem to do what they say on the tin - I know the last one
> works since if I comment/uncomment the realias line and issue CxCr it
> toggles on/off.
>
> I prefer to use the default M-f and M-b forward/back keys (even though
> they are shadowed by the default gnome-terminal shortcuts - I kill those
> off as soon as I move into a new account).

When I look at the bind command, \M-\C-b and \M-\C-f show up as "202"
and "206" respectfully. What are 202 and 206?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 12, Gnome 2.28