[Follow up] Re: help verifying a site using Firefox

Mike Wright mike.wright at mailinator.com
Tue Feb 9 17:48:04 UTC 2010

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently on f10 using their firefox 3.0.15 build to which I've
> installed firebug.  I don't know whether firebug or firefox is the
> culprit but the site displays correctly using Galeon and Chrome (with
> firebug).  I'd like to determine if it's the site's problem or that of
> Firefox/Firebug but it smells like a bug in the site's javascript.
>
> The problem occurs when I try to use CapitalOne's web site.  It has
> worked mostly well since 2007 but been on the fritz for a couple of
> months now.
> <snip />
> Would somebody be so kind as to try this link using Firefox (preferably
> 3.0.15) and let me know their result?
>
>      https://servicing.capitalone.com/c1/login.aspx
>
> There is supposed to be a login block on the left side of the page.

Firstly, thanks to everybody who took the time to help.

I, too, got a javascript is not installed error but I know for a fact
that it's there because I use it extensively.

I disabled firebug and firephp: that was not the culprit.  So I
re-enabled them and used them to see what I could see.  I saw a lot.

Using the element inspector I hovered over the area where the login box
was supposed to appear and it "lit up": that means it's there.
Exploring deeper I found an <iframe> that was set to display: none;
however, it did contain the login form, so I did a little inline html
editing and changed it to display: block and voila', there it was and it
was functional.

Looking at the site's javascript I found it erroring out on something
called busybox as undefined.  That is definitely an error but whose I
don't know.  Is busybox supposed to be native to the browser or is it a
piece of cap1's js?  That I can't tell you.

But at least I can force the site to behave by modifying their content
"on the fly".  Bet they never anticipated somebody doing that ;D