Turning off ipv6

Henry Ritzlmayr fedora-list at rc0.at
Wed Feb 10 08:08:07 UTC 2010

Am Montag, den 08.02.2010, 10:12 -0430 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
> I know ipv6 is going to be in all our futures, but for the moment it's
> just a PITA. My ISP doesn't support it and my /var/log/messages is
> overflowing with complaints from named (I run the basic caching
> nameserver configuration).
>
> There's lots of variegated advice around on turning off ipv6, much of it
> out of date. What's the canonical way of doing this in Fedora (12), or
> at least getting named to shut up about it?
>
> poc

To disable ipv6 on F12 on the next reboot just add the line

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

to your /etc/sysctl.conf file.

To disable it right away issue the command

sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

To disable ipv6 on just one interface (for example eth0) issue the
command

sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=1

or enter the line

net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6 = 1

in your /etc/sysctl.conf file for the next reboot

Henry