Turning off ipv6

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 11 05:45:04 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> Thank you. That looks like the Right Way (tm) to do it.
>>>
>> As a matter of interest,
>> why do you prefer this to modifying ifcfg-eth?
>> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ ,
>> which was suggested earlier?
>>
>> Do both work, I wonder?
>>

> I prefer changing something in /etc/sysctl.conf because it's clearly
> where this kind of configuration change belongs. Changing ifcfg-eth0 may
> or may not work at the moment -- I'm guessing it probably does -- but
> it's a kludge that depends on the functioning of a specific script which
> in some future version could change.
>
> It's a judgment call based on many years experience of messing with
> systems and having the floor move under my feet :-)
>
> poc

poc:

Interesting points, but not certain whether I agree. Given that the
"IPV6INIT=no" seems to be an accepted option in ifcfg-eth0, I am not
certain whether it is a "kludge". Actually, I picked up the info about
it from this list in 2008 while trying to figure out how to get my local
network behaving along with internet access and this was "the suggestion
du jour". Mind you, there were cavaets about issues on LANs, but I never
saw any problems and it certainly did the trick. And I can't understand
how LANs would not respect ifcfg-eth0 on each machine of the local net
(but I'm a newbie in that area, so my "understanding" may be ignorance).

I'll give a shot at trying the other suggestion with the IPV6INIT
comment out in ifcfg-eth0 to see if it works which I snip from the thread:

===
 > >> To disable ipv6 on F12 on the next reboot just add the line
>  >>
>  >> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
>  >>
>  >> to your /etc/sysctl.conf file.
===

But it seems that there should be a "Fedora-approved" way to not deal
with ipv6 rather than all of us having "best solutions". If anyone
associated with Fedora is reading, can they provide the "proper way to
handle this" (including the option of telling me I didn't read some doc
and citing it)?

Paul