Turning off ipv6

Dan Irwin rummymobile at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 07:31:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:48 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> No doubt IP6 will eventually arrive because it will become necessary,
> but the chances of a significant number of end-users "demanding" it are
> close to zero

And while none of the users who have a need ask (eg: yourself) the
ISPs won't do anything about it.

You appear to have a need (eg your OS supports it, but your lack of
connectivity is the problem).

> as long as it provides no obvious benefit to them. And I include myself in that group.

Clearly it provides a benefit. The existence of IPv6 in the kernel is
obviously causing problems. Why fight the inevitable? The funny thing
is, it's probably easier to connect to a tunnel broker than to try out
all the things suggested in this thread.

The last time I configured a network for IPv6, we already had IPv6
capable routers and switches. A five minute job on a cisco router, a
two minute job on some L3 switches, and our network was able to
connect to IPv6.  Having done it before helps.

Cheers,

Dan