Building the kernel and kernel objects

Dave Higton DAVE.HIGTON at nice.com
Thu Feb 11 09:10:11 UTC 2010

On 10-02-10 20:03:00, Tony Nelson wrote:

> On 10-02-10 05:39:06, Dave Higton wrote:

Yes.

I've now twigged that rpmbuild isn't about building /from/
RPMs, it's about building RPMs, so it creates the RPMs and
then deletes the files used to create them.

The current frustration is that I still can't build udf.ko
identical to, or even the same size as, the original in the
running distribution; the differences are more than can be
explained by different vermagic strings:

Distro       78604
kernel       79028
kernel-debug 78492

the latter two being what I've built.  Why the differences?
Yesterday morning I did happen to see, briefly, udf.ko built
at 78604 bytes, but that version didn't make it into any RPM
I built.

> > Even more frustrating: while the kernel build was running, I
> > searched for udf.ko and found one that was of identical size
> > to the distribution version.  By the time I tried to run a
> > binary comparison, the file had been deleted.
> >
> > The penultimate line in the build window was:
> >
> > + rm -rf
> > /home/my-username/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/
> > kernel-2.6.27.41-170.2.117.abc42.fc
> > 10.i386
> >
> > so that's what did the damage.  Where and why does that line
> > exist?
>
> It means that the new RPMs are all built.  You just need to install
> them.  See the instructions you're following.  You might also
> look into
> building "out of tree" kernel modules, also in those instructions.

If only I could understand them.

Dave

NICE CTI Systems UK Limited ("NICE") is registered in England under company number, 3403044. The registered office of NICE is at Tollbar Way, Hedge End, Southampton, Hampshire SO30 2ZP.

Confidentiality: This communication and any attachments are intended for the above-named persons only and may be confidential and/or legally privileged. Any opinions expressed in this communication are not necessarily those of NICE. If this communication has come to you in error you must take no action based on it, nor must you copy or show it to anyone; please delete/destroy and inform the sender by e-mail immediately.

Monitoring: NICE may monitor incoming and outgoing e-mails.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps toward ensuring that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.