Question on installing FC12-X86_64

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Thu Feb 11 21:00:33 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Am I wrong or right that this computer will take a FC12  32 or 64bit
> install.

Core 2 Duos are 64-bit processors, so you can install the 64-bit Fedora.

However, all the x86_64 (aka AMD64) CPUs can run in 32-bit mode.  So
you can install the 32-bit Fedora instead if you choose.

My MacBook Pro is a Core Duo, but not a Core 2 Duo.  The "Non-Two"
Core Duos are 32-bit only, so when I finally get around to Linuxizing
my laptop, it will have to be 32-bit only.

When one has a choice of either 32-bit or 64-bit, there are certain
advantages and disadvantages to each choice.

The main advantage of 64-bit is that, if your motherboard supports it,
you can install more than 4 GB of memory.  That would enable you to
run lots of programs simultaneously without any virtual memory paging.
 I have 16 GB in my F11 Core 2 Quad Xeon box, and I never, ever have
to hit the swap file.

Even with less then 4 GB of memory, it is possible for software to run
faster in 64-bit mode than 32-bit mode, because the x86_64 Instruction
Set Architecture adds some general purpose registers that aren't
present in 32-bit.  Whether that helps your particular situation would
depend very much on the software you use.

(Tastes Great!  Less Filling!)

Hope That Helps,

Don Quixote
--