Display settings should not be per user

birger birger at birger.sh
Fri Feb 12 08:52:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 09:45 +0100, Tobias Ringström wrote:
> On 02/12/2010 09:26 AM, birger wrote:
> > Placement of screens is a different story. No, users are not supposed to
> > move their screens around. What they frequently do is move the computers
> > around. You know - laptops? For laptops you definitely want users to
> > control placement of screens, right? At work I have one setup, at my
> > home office a second one. Then there are at least two frequently used
> > meeting rooms, one with a big screen, the other with a projector.
> >

> Well of course, but that has nothing at all to do with per user
> settings. You don't use switch user account when you connect an external
> monitor to a laptop, I hope. :-)

Actually, it does. I want ordinary users to be able to change their
display settings when moving their PC around. Ordinary users should
*not* be able to change the system defaults. So this kind of setting
should be per user IMHO.

On the other hand, with a laptop you always know you have at least one
screen that is not rotated for your login prompt. :-)

birger