[OT] Hardlinks and directories

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 13 05:20:13 UTC 2010

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> cat > foo &
> rm foo
> lsof +L1 -s
>
> When I do this the "cat" process shows up (and foo is marked as
> deleted). You can then reconnect to "cat" (using fg) and write stuff
> into the "non-existent" file.

'cat > foo &', will create a file 'foo' in directory and in background,
therefore it is still open as a buffered file, so it can not be truly
considered as 'not-existent' other than in directory.

same effect can be more readily seen under x by creating a file either by
cli 'echo > filename', create file with konqueror, or how ever.

then, with file opened via kwrite or any other editor, deleting file either
via konqueror or cli 'rm', will kill file in directory only. when editor is
closed notice will be given that file has been deleted from directory and
option to recreate in directory or discard.

a counter of this is that it does not exist as a file in directory, which
is true, but it is a file in a buffer, therefore it is actually an unwritten
file and it does exist.

--

peace out.

tc,hago.