weird F12 printing problem

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Feb 14 03:49:21 UTC 2010

I've got two F12 systems here. One is my eeepc, while the other is a VM
in Sun VirtualBox.

I have a networked Brother laser printer. It works fine on the eeepc when
set up as an IPP printer. On the VirtualBox system, cups disables the
printer because it is "inaccessible".

going thru the configuration on the one that fails, when I enter the IP
address and the queue name then click the verify button it immediately
reports "this print share is accessible", yet after completing the
configuration, printing a test page fails as described above.

I've compared the settings on the two systems and they are identical.
I've made sure that all the footmatic packages are installed, and also
made sure that the same foomatic driver is being selected on both
systems.

I've turned off the fedora firewall as well as the windows firewall on
the machine hosting VirtualBox. BTW, the VM is configured with bridged
networking, so I wouldn't think the windows firewall would be involved
anyway, but I turned it off just to make sure.

I don't have a clue what's going on here.

the lack of clarity is further muddied by the fact that I can configure
it as a jetdirect printer and it works fine. but since I have all the
other systems here using IPP for that printer I'd just as soon have
ALL of them working the same way.

Clues, anyone?

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding