weird F12 printing problem

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 16:12:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 04:07 -0800, Mike Cloaked wrote:
> > I don't know if this will help but sometimes I have found that a printer
> > seems to be shared  according to the Fedora printer admin interface but
> > does not work - in this situation going to localhost:631 in a browser and
> > selecting that the printer concerned is "published" as a shared printer
> > usually sorts this out for me.

For a CUPS printer to be usable by another machine, you need:

1. the printer to be marked as 'Shared' (the Printer-> Shared checkbox)
2. the CUPS server to 'Publish shared printers' (Server-> Settings...->
Public shared printers connected to this system)
3. the firewall settings on the server to allow 'Network Printing
Server'
4. the firewall settings on the client to allow 'Network Printing
Client'

Tim.
*/