Sendmail help sought

Mail Lists lists at sapience.com
Mon Feb 15 18:37:14 UTC 2010

On 02/15/2010 12:11 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 15:40 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Should I set MASQUERADE_AS and/or MASQUERADE_DOMAIN
>> on laptop and/or desktop?

  It is not necessary tho its not a bad idea. Your sendmail is merely
acting as a client to your ISP's sendmail - so as long as your ISP
sendmail is happy (on correct net, authorized etc) all is fine.

> One problem with such simple masquerading is when you send out a mail
> using a local LAN address, it fakes your local domain to be the ISP's
> domain, and that constructed address happens to be the same address as
> someone else on your ISP.

  That is -not- correct. The outside world will see the ISP sendmail
outbound MX and it will have a unique and reversable IP. The internal IP
may show up in a received line and plays zero roll at all. It is not a
problem in any way.

 gene