[slightly OT] rpm Vs deb [Was: Re: Moblin is dead, Fedora on netbooks?]

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:09:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> inode0 wrote:
>> It if were brand new they could do whatever they pleased to create it.
>> But it isn't brand new. And it isn't just two businesses who can tell
>> their paid staff what to work on tomorrow.
>
> How long has MeeGo be around for?

This is semantics. Merging and renaming two existing things makes
something new out of something that already exists. There wouldn't be
any problem if it weren't for yanking an existing community from
something they have been contributing to for years into something else
with a press release.

>> Does Fedora bicker over
>> which shell it wants? Does Red Hat require the shell to be bash? Who
>> makes that decision? This is getting as silly as the arguments over
>> rpm now.
>
> Precisely what I was driving at.

But Fedora doesn't bicker about this. Red Hat doesn't mandate this.
Fedora as a community makes the decision. So why are we discussing it
at all? Having transparent governance and community decision making
does not mean bickering about such things.

>> I think if we compare how Fedora's "corporate sponsor" has gone about
>> helping to create, foster, and empower its community and compare that
>> with the Nokia/maemo relationship there are valuable things to be
>> learned.
>>

> I couldn't agree with you more, but there is hope in that Nokia is
> pairing up on the effort and wishes to expand (explore?).

This sentiment I think everyone shared in the beginning. Give Nokia
time to learn its way. But they began with old mistakes (core
controlled by them and the community contributing on the edges, sound
familiar?) and continue with a governance model that guarantees a
dysfunctional community that at each sudden jerk feels used. Hope may
spring eternal but eventually people get discouraged.

John