Help! - F12 Nvidia boot errors

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Wed Feb 17 23:03:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 13:28 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 02/17/2010 12:42 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 09:48 -0500, Gary Waters wrote:
> >> Greetings from newbieland,
> >>
> >> I tend to fall behind and upgrade Fedora every 2-3 versions down the
> >> line. I just installed F12, did some research on installing the nvida
> >> drivers. I have uninstalled nouveau and kmod-nvidia is also not
> >> installed. The proprietary nvidia driver appeared to install without any
> >> diffulties and appears to be working in system/preferences/nvidia
> >> x-server settings; however, I get the following bootup error messages:
> >>
> >> checking for module nvidia.ko in fc12: failed
> >> nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.31.12-174.2.19.fc12x86_64 was not found
> >> the nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found
> >>
> >> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done a lot of googling and
> >> experimenting. Could this have something to do with xorg.conf? I have
> >> been reading so many different "solutions" that I'm beginning to feel
> >> vapourlocked and would rather get advice here before I screw things up more.
>

> > My advice would be to remove the nvidia-packaged drivers and install
> > kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion.  That's worked reliably for me with recent
> > versions.  Also added "rdblacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line
> > in /etc/grub/conf.
>

> I just tried the installation method here:
>
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234595
>
> It made no difference. I still get the error messages in the orange
> triangle at the login screen
>
> Step 13 for this method is as follows:
>
> 13. $ cd /etc/X11 && vi xorg.conf
> Add the following lines to the "Files" section:
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers"
> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>
> Would I need to modify anything there before uninstalling the nvidia and
> proceeding with Kmod? I assume this is the correct procedure for kmod:
>
> http://fedorasolved.org/video-solutions/nvidia-yum-kmod

That looks correct, except that it looks like it misses blacklisting the
nouveau module at boot.

I think you should be able to just delete xorg.conf before installing.
Fedora currently doesn't use it for the drivers it distributes, so the
kmod-nvidia stuff should know to create it.  Fedorasolved lists a HOWTO
to make sure you've deleted everything from the nvidia run package.  One
test is to make sure you can boot and get graphics from the nouveau
driver again.

If you have an older card, be sure to get the right version of the
driver package.
--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences